|A side dish of our freshly made creamed spinach|
When we are looking for a nice, comforting side dish to accompany a meal, it is hard to look past creamed spinach. It has such a great blend of rich flavors that really satisfy your appetite. Here is a recipe for creamed spinach that is one of our favorites.
- 2 Cups Cooked Spinach (roughly one full bag of uncooked spinach)
- 1 Tbsp Margarine
- 1 Onion; chopped
- 3 Toes Garlic; minced
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste (Start with 2 tsps each)
- 1 Tub (8 oz) Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Cook spinach in a large pot until it cooks down, stirring frequently. Then pour into a strainer and using a towel, press all of the excess water out of the cooked spinach.
- In a large sauce pan (or high-walled skillet) on medium-high heat, sauté onions, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne in a little margarine. Cook until onions they sweat and soften.
- Add cream cheese and stir with rubber spatula until the cheese is a uniform softness, this should still seem like a paste. Add cream and whisk (or using a blending wand) until the mix feels like a thick sauce then reduce heat to low or warm.
- Add the cooked and drained spinach to the cream mixture and stir until well mixed.